About the Halstead 21st Century Group
In 2012, many local residents became concerned about an area close to Halstead High Street when Tesco sought planning permission to build a supermarket and car park on it. The site seemed remarkable, containing natural springs, woodland, a Victorian garden and a rare group of sixteen WWII air raid shelters. Over a hundred objections were made against the planning application, and some objectors joined forces in a bid to save the land and shelters.
In January 2013 Braintree District Council made a strong case against the supermarket development, and planning permission was refused. Despite this small victory, campaigners soon realised that it would remain at risk and so Halstead 21st Century Group was formed.
As the months passed, we soon realised that other valued parts of our local area were under threat too. It became clear that our local heritage and open spaces needed help – and this became our mission.
Years of building networks, extending our activities and strengthening the organisation have helped us develop a stronger, clearer voice.
This list provides just some examples of what we do:
- Monitoring and commenting on the planning applications that impact on our natural and built heritage
- Helping to research, nominate and assess buildings for Braintree District Council’s Local Heritage List (LHL)
- Producing a quarterly newsletter
- Recording oral histories
- Arranging heritage talks at local venues
- Researching, curating and holding displays for the public (e.g. Essex Industrial Heritage Fair, Colne Valley at War, Halstead Christmas Fayre)
- Liaising with local councils
- Promoting community involvement with heritage through social media
- Working with other organisations to promote our heritage (e.g. the Courtaulds Connects project, Heritage Open Days)
- Creating our vision for Halstead Heritage Park a sustainable alternative to major development for a town centre green space
All images on this website contributed by H21stC Group members, Halstead Heritage Museum and Emily Humm, unless otherwise stated.